How to get a building permit:
- Residents/Contractors can apply in person for a permit until 3 p.m. Generally, we will get the permit back before you leave, some exceptions are new homes and commercial building permits.
- Residents/Contractors can also drop off, fax, or scan and email a completed permit application (see EZ Permit or the forms section of the Department website) and it will be ready for you to pick up the next day (we may need to contact you with a few questions).
- Residents/Contractors will be expected to call for all required inspections as required by Indiana Building Laws, or be subject to violations, fines, or "Stop Work" orders. It is the responsibility of both the Resident & Contractor to ensure that proper inspections are scheduled.
- Inspections can be scheduled thru the Area Plan Office from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM and generally performed between 9:30 AM - 3:30 PM the following working day.
- Area Plan tries to accommodate, when possible, set inspection times but generally schedules inspections on more of a "Morning" or "Afternoon" time frame due to the amount of Open/Active Permits on hand.
- For more information about Area Plan Department policies and requirements for permits, inspections, or other actions, please contact the Area Plan Department at 765-668-4765
- Residents/Contractors are encouraged to meet with our director
- Apply by the filing deadline for the next APC/BZA meeting - the filing deadline is generally in the middle of the month prior to the month you want to have your petition heard. Please make sure to call for inspections when required, or penalties may be assessed.