Grant County, IN
What are the ways in which a property can be sold in tax sale?
UPDATED 9-24-10
Property taxes on a real estate parcel must be delinquent for the prior year's first installment, or older, before that parcel is declared eligible for tax sale. Grant County last held a tax sale on September 2013, and plans to hold the next tax sale September 18 of 2014. A list of those parcels that are eligible for the 2014 tax sale will be published three times in local newspapers. At the point that a parcel is declared eligible for tax sale, all delinquent taxes, as well as a Tax Sale Fee, must be paid in order to remove the parcel from the tax sale. When a parcel goes to tax sale, however, the minimum bid that is required to purchase the parcel will be all of the delinquent taxes, plus the amount for the current tax year.

A winning bidder at the tax sale is actually buying a certificate of lien on the parcel, which entitles the buyer to request the court to issue a tax deed to the property within 180 days after the one-year redemption period has expired. There are some requirements that must be met in order for the court to grant this request. Please consult with an attorney to determine what these requirements are. After the requirements are met, all liens, including mortgage liens, but not including state or Federal tax liens, are removed from the parcel and the property will be transferred according to the directions of the tax sale lien holder. The Treasurer can only sell lien certificates at the annual tax sale, and not at any other time. Once bought from the Treasurer they may, however, be transferred between individual holders at any time.

When a property that was sold at tax sale is redeemed, the buyer (lien holder) is entitled to reimbursement for the tax amount, plus a 10% fee during the first six months of the redemption period, or 15% during the second six months of the redemption period. Since the liens are sold during a competitive auction, bid amounts may be more than just the amount of the taxes due. The amount that a bid exceeds the taxes that are due is called overbid, and is deposited by the county into a special fund. The lien holder is entitled to 5% interest per annum on the overbid amount, if any, in addition to the fee described above. In order to complete the redemption process, the property owner must reimburse the lien holder for the amount of the taxes that were paid at the sale, the fee on those taxes, the interest on the overbid, if any, and certain expenses that the lienholder might incur while perfecting the title. The county then adds the amount of the overbid, from the special fund, to the reimbursement from the property owner and pays it all to the lien holder.

During the redemption period, the lien buyer has no right to enter the property or make any changes to the property. Those rights are granted at the time that the court transfers the deed, as described above. The owner of the property during the redemption period continues to have the right to demolish buildings or take any other legally permissible action that he or she wishes to take.
How can I find property tax information?
UPDATED 4-13-10
1. Click "Property Tax & Payment Info" at the top of the left column on the homepage.
2. At the "Tax List" screen, you are at the beginning of the entire list of all the property in the county, and the search function will eliminate those parcels that do not meet the search requirements. Therefore, if you enter partial data for a 10-digit tax id number, 18-digit parcel number, name, or address, the information that you are searching for will be included in the results, along with other information that meets the same search conditions. Please be sure to indicate the correct tax year, located to the right of the name field of the search area, before beginning your search. As soon as we have calculated the tax information for the next year, the default year will be updated, so it may be necessary to change the year to make sure that the correct year is showing for the information that you need.
3. SEARCH BY PROPERTY NUMBER - The best way to search is to enter a property number, which, for real estate parcels, is either the 10-digit tax id number or the 18-digit parcel number, if you know either of them. Property numbers for personal property taxes used to be only be 10-digits long, prior to the payable 2009 year, but a "27" prefix was added starting in that tax year. If you have one of the property numbers, enter it in the appropriate blank and skip down to #6. Hyphens and periods in the number are optional when searching, but the property number cannot have any extra spaces in it or after it. If you don't have a property number, please continue to option #4.
4. SEARCH BY NAME - If you don't know any of the property numbers, you can search by name, but names may be duplicated, misspelled or may be entered in our records in a manner that the person does not normally associate with. For example, "Bill" may show as "William" or "Wm", and "McCoy" is also in the system as "Mc Coy", with a space in the name, and it won't find a parcel that was entered as "Mc Coy" unless your search includes a space in it. Of course, a search for "Coy" will find all of the "Mc Coy" and "McCoy" parcels, as well as "Coyle", and you can then look through the results to find what you need. Middle initials never have a period after them, but O'Brien does have the apostrophe, so if you are searching by name, you may have to try several variations in order to find what you are looking for. The search recognizes capital and lower-case (small) letters equally.
5. SEARCH BY ADDRESS - This type of search can be the most troublesome because, when the county changed computer systems several years ago, all of the mailing addresses were transferred over and labeled as "Property Address" on the new system. Since the Treasurer is more concerned with where to send the tax statement than where the property actually resides, often the address that must be searched for is the address where the tax statement goes, not the property address. The county's GIS Web site at has assessor information, which is much more accurate for address information simply because the assessor is much more concerned with where the property is physically located than where the tax statements go. Therefore, it is sometimes necessary to first find the property address in the GIS Web site, then come back to the Treasurer's Web site for tax information. When searching by address, keep in mind that street names may be spelled out, as in Ninth Street instead of 9th. East may be entered as E., E, or East, and may or may not be separated from other data with a space. North, South and West have the same potential search problems. Often, the best kind of address search to start with is to enter the address number ONLY, without the street name, and then sort through the results for the correct one.
6. Once you have entered the search data, you may either click the "Search" button, or just press the "Enter" key on your keyboard to execute the search.
7. The results will be displayed in a list directly below the search fields, with the property numbers shown as a hyperlink (in color and underlined). Click the hyperlink to be taken to the Property Information screen.
8. On the Property Information screen, any parcel that is associated with a bankruptcy or tax sale will show a warning flag directly underneath the "Back" button. We have recently begun to also show a warning flag on those parcels that are under an appeal for assessed value, even though there is nothing about this to be particularly concerned about. It is merely the easiest way to indicate that a parcel has that status without doing a major rewrite of the Web site. To see tax information, scroll down to the "Charges" area. When viewing tax information, please be aware that the designation LY means Last Year, and PY means Prior Years. For the default tax year 2009 payable 2010, LY is the tax year 2008 payable 2009, and PY is the tax year 2007 payable 2008, plus any prior years.

When will tax statements be mailed?
UPDATED 6-16-10

Tax statements for 2009 payable 2010 were mailed between April 21 and 23, 2010 with a due date for the first installment of May 10, 2010, and a due date for the second installment of November 10, 2010.
How are late payment penalty amounts calculated?
UPDATED 4-13-10
Grant County typically collects property taxes annually in two equal installments - Taxpayers must pay a 5 percent penalty for late payment if they make payment within the first 30 days following the deadline and do not have delinquent taxes on the same parcel from the previous year. The penalty returns to 10 percent for payments made after the first 30 days or for payments made on parcels with late taxes from the previous year.
Penalties are added on delinquent tax amounts only (penalties are not charged on existing penalty amounts) each time that a due date is missed, except for when the first installment of the current year is still delinquent after the second installment due date has passed. Penalties are only assessed once per installment for the year that the taxes are first due. This means that the maximum late-payment penalty for the first installment of the current year is 10%, even if payment for those taxes is not made by the second installment due date. In succeeding years 10% penalty is assessed for the missed due date for both installments.
The reduction of penalties benefits property owners who forgot or overlooked payment of property taxes. If paid within the first 30 days, a taxpayer who has no late taxes from the previous year is only required to pay a 5 percent penalty for late payment. Although the penalty returns to 10 percent after 30 days, this month of reduced penalty limits the cost of the mistake to those who forgot or overlooked the payment. Taxpayers continue to remain eligible for the reduced penalty as long as they are not liable for any delinquent taxes on the same parcel from a prior installment.
The change in the penalty percentages does not change the process for paying taxes. Property owners should make payment to the Grant County Treasurer in the same manner in which they have in the past.
Following the due date for property taxes, Grant County will review all parcels that are past due. Those with no prior year delinquencies will qualify for a 5 percent penalty for the first 30-days following the due date. Those with a delinquency on the parcel in a prior installment will not qualify.
Eligibility for reduced penalty is determined on a parcel-by-parcel basis. A taxpayer who owns multiple parcels may qualify for reduced penalty on one parcel with no prior year delinquency and not qualify on another that has a prior year delinquency.
Q: When is the new reduction in penalties effective?
A: The reduction of penalties becomes effective for taxes first payable after Jan. 1, 2007. In the past, taxpayers who missed property tax deadlines faced a 10 percent penalty for late payment immediately following the due date. However, after Jan. 1, 2007, taxpayers face a 5 percent penalty for late payment if they make payment within the first 30 days following the deadline and do not have delinquent taxes on the same parcel from a previous installment. The penalty returns to 10 percent for payments made after the first 30 days or for payments made on parcels with late taxes from a previous installment.
Q: Does the 30-day reduction in penalties apply to both real and personal property?
A: The reduction of penalties does apply to both real and personal property taxes. The reduction in penalties does not change the penalty for failure to file a personal property return.
Q: When does a taxpayer become ineligible for the reduction in penalties?
A: A taxpayer who has no late taxes from a previous installment is only required to pay a 5 percent penalty for late payment on taxes first payable after Jan. 1, 2007. Although the penalty returns to 10 percent after 30 days, this month of reduced penalty limits the cost of the mistake to those who forgot or overlooked the payment of taxes. Taxpayers continue to remain eligible for the phased-in penalty as long as they are not liable for taxes on the parcel from a prior installment. A delinquent payment in the first installment does not disqualify a property owner from the 30-day decreased penalty on the second installment.
Q: If a taxpayer has multiple parcels, is he or she still eligible for the reduction?
A: Eligibility for reduced penalty is determined on a parcel-by-parcel basis. A taxpayer who owns multiple parcels may qualify for reduced penalty on one parcel with no prior installment delinquency and not qualify on another that has a prior installment delinquency.
Q: What does the taxpayer file to receive the reduction in penalties?
A: Taxpayers are not required to file for the reduction in penalties.
Grant County calculates the reduction automatically for qualifying property. Taxpayers continue to remain eligible for the phased-in penalty as long as they are not liable for any delinquent taxes on the parcel from a prior installment. 
How can I pay my taxes?
  • In person by cash, check, cashier's check or money order. The Treasurer's Office is on the second floor of the County Building at 401 S. Adams Street in Marion. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The office is closed on all county holidays.
  • Mail by check, cashier's check or money order to Grant County Treasurer, 401 S. Adams St., Suite 229, Marion, IN 46953. If you want a receipt, please enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope and both the Treasurer and Taxpayer copies of the tax statement.
  • Drop box, which is available 24 hours, is located on the right side of the west entrance to the County Building, 401 S. Adams Street in Marion.
  • Pay by credit/debit card over the phone to 1-866-480-8552. You must use a touch-tone phone to pay in this manner. There is a convenience fee for this service. Go to for more information. Credit/debit card payments may be made in the Treasurer's Office during business hours. (Credit/debit card payments cannot be accepted by mail.)
  • Pay by credit card online. Click "Pay Taxes Online" on either the County's homepage or the Treasurer's homepage. There is a convenience fee for this service that is charged by the vendor and not Grant County.

  • At several local financial institutions. Generally, these institutions require that you bring the entire coupon sheet of the tax statement:
  1. Citizens Exchange Bank, Fairmount.
  2. Fairmount State Bank, Fairmount.
  3. First Farmers Bank & Trust, Marion.
  4. Farmers State Bank, Sweetser.
  5. Pacesetter Bank, Upland.
  6. Markle Bank, Van Buren.
  7. * Grant County State Bank, Swayzee office only.
  8. * STAR Financial Bank, throughout Grant County.
  9. * VIA Credit Union, throughout Grant County.
  10. * Mutual Bank, throughout Grant County.

* These institutions will accept check payments that are drawn on other financial institutions.
Is the Property Tax information on the website current?
All payments for property taxes have been posted on the Web site as of the "Last Updated" date that is shown on the Tax List page. Any prior years' delinquent taxes automatically roll over into the current year, but are listed on the current year as LY (Last Year), FY (Former Years) or PY (Prior Years) amounts. Any payments made after the "Last Updated" date are promptly posted on our internal computer system even though they may not yet appear on the Web site. Please keep in mind that, although it may take a few days for payment information to appear on the website, once taxes are shown as paid, they will only become unpaid if your payment is returned to us by your bank. In other words, if your balance shows as zero, you may assume that it will continue to be zero, regardless of how old that balance information is, until we roll the default tax year over to the next year. 

How can I get information or file for tax exemptions?
Tax exemptions are filed in the Auditor's Office. To be effective for a particular year, they must be filed on or before the due date. Please check with the Auditor's Office for more information.
When filing for a mortgage exemption, you will need to know who holds your mortgage and the approximate balance.
An exemption means that a certain amount will be deducted from your assessed valuation. This may or may not be enough to completely cancel your property tax liability.
IF YOU MOVE you will need to refile your homestead exemption.
IF YOU REFINANCE you will need to refile your mortgage exemption.
Types of exemptions available:
Age (over 65)
Blind (with proof)
Disabled (with proof)
Enterprise zone
Residential abatement
Disabled veteran
Real estate-ERA
Personal resource recovery
*CERTAIN LIMITATIONS APPLY TO THE ABOVE EXEMPTIONS. For more information, go to this link!
What do the abbreviations mean in tax information?
Please see our terms section on the FAQ/Terms page.
What if I didn't get a tax statement that I was expecting?
UPDATED 4-13-10

Tax statements are mailed to the address of the deeded owner, as of March 1 of the tax year, that is on the address list that is maintained by the Grant County Auditor. Failure on the part of the US Postal Service to timely deliver a tax statement constitutes a situation that is outside of our control. There are other options available whenever a tax statement delivery problem might occur.

The options are:
1. You can print out a copy of the information that is available online.
2. We will e-mail a tax satement as a PDF file, upon request.
3. A copy of the printed statement can be picked up at our office.

Our e-mail address is:

We do not re-mail a tax statement when the post office returns it to us because we assume that the postal service would simply return it to us again. Even if the postal service has returned a tax statement to us with an attached sticker that shows a new address on it, state law requires that we mail the statement only to the address that is on file in the Auditor's office. State law also forbids us from mailing any tax statement within 15 days of a due date.
Can there be a special assessment or lien on a property?
All special assessments are added in the charges area for a particular parcel. The name of a creek or ditch indicates a ditch assessment. The abbreviation "Spa" indicates a special assessment for a sewer, weed, or demolition lien, which will be described below the charges area in the Notes section. Please call April in the Grant County Auditor's Office at 765-668-6552, extension 115, for more information regarding special assessments or liens.
What should I do if I have overpaid my taxes?
If you have paid more than is due for a particular tax year, we cannot, by law, apply the overpayment to a future year. You will receive a letter at least 60 days before the next tax deadline that will instruct you how to request a refund from the Auditor's office. The process is complicated due to legalities and will take a few weeks. Although the Treasurer signs all county checks, they do not write checks for the county and therefore cannot issue refunds.
What should I do about a wrong address?
UPDATED 4-13-10

If you are concerned about the Treasurer's Web site showing an incorrect property address, please be aware that, when the county changed computer systems and began the Web site a few years ago, there were some problems with the mailing addresses for parcels in the old system being transferred to show as the "Property Address" that shows directly under the deeded owner's name on the parcel's Property Information screen. For many parcels, this "Property Address" on the Web site may therefore be wrong because the owner may have requested that the tax statement be mailed to an address that is not the same as the actual property address. The Auditor's Office is striving to get these inaccuracies corrected, but they must do it one parcel at a time, and this will take some time to complete. If, however, you go to the county's GIS Web site, you can readily obtain the correct property address, since that Web site uses a different software that was not subject to the same problems that the Auditor/Treasurer software was when the Web site was initiated.
If the address on the GIS Web site is not the correct address, or if you need to get your address changed for any reason, please contact the Auditor's Office to do an address change. Since changing addresses can have a drastically negative effect on a taxpayer's Homestead Exemption, and the Auditor is responsible for maintaining both addresses and exemptions, it only makes good sense to go to them for any address change. Otherwise, an unwanted change in exemption status might happen at the same time that an address change is made.
What should I do if my property's Assessed Value is too high?
The Grant County Assessor's Office is the only authority that determines what the taxable value of property is. If you feel as though your assessment is too high, you must contact them. Their phone number is 765-668-4773, and their e-mail is:
How long are balance due amounts good for?
UPDATED 12-1-10 

A penalty on any outstanding tax amount is added on the day after each due date and, under certain circumstances, 30 days after that (see FAQ #4 for the law regarding the circumstances for additional penalties). The most recent due date was November 10, 2010, so additional penalties may apply on December 10. The next due date is May 10, 2011, so penalties will be applied as of May 11, 2011, and potentially 30 days after that. Parcels that are still delinquent for the first installment of 2009 payable 2010 at the close of business on June 30, 2011 will be declared eligible for the 2011 tax sale, will have a Tax Sale fee added to them, and will be subject to additional fees, interest, and penalties once the parcel is sold at tax sale. Parcels that do not sell in the Tax Sale will be subject to seizure by a municipality which has jurisdiction over the parcel.
How do I get a mobile home moving permit or title transfer?
  • All taxes must be paid, including, after January 15, the amount for the entire remainder of the current year. If the tax amount is not yet known, then the Auditor will provide an estimate, which must be paid even if the transaction occurs before a tax due date. 
  • When transferring title, please bring the current title with you. We will need the name and address of the new owner. 
  • If the home is to be moved, we must have the address of the new location. 
  • If taxes are to be paid at the time the permit is issued, payment must be made by cash, money order, or cashier's check.
How can I renew or transfer a liquor permit?
Renewal or transfer forms must be completed before being brought to the Treasurer's Office. All business real estate and business personal property taxes due must be paid in order for a permit to be stamped by the Treasurer. If the business is a sole proprietorship, the owner's personal real estate and personal property taxes must also be paid before a permit is approved. Any prior taxes that have not been paid by a former owner of the business must also be paid before a permit is approved.